Taras Shevchenko National University — is the main educational institution of Ukraine, nowadays it numbers over 18 thousand of students.
Main building of Taras Shevchenko National University was constructed in 1843. The building was projected by Vikentiy Beretti, the architect who was among one of the first lecturers of the University. Red color of the walls, black details of columns and cornice fits the colors of honorable sign of Saint Vladimir, whose name University beard in that time. The honorable sign motto «benefit, honor and glory» also became the motto of University.
In the middle of XIX century University became the outstanding center of science and progressive social-politics ideology in Ukraine. Many prominent scientists lectured here. In
The World War II didn't spare the building of University — like many other institutes of higher education it was almost completely burned, many professors and students have given their lives on front. Already after the war the reconstruction begun. In 1946 here studied more than 3800 students and lectured 357 professors.
Back to top